Path Cover

Trixi Agrios

Hi Jack, in the video you show how you covered a garden path with taxus clippings. I like the look of it, its attractive and I assume it won’t be slippery like leaves on cardboard in a path. Do you intent to leave them there year round, or will you remove them in the spring. If so, what will you replace them with?
My next question is that we have a lot of hardwood sawdust; basically walnut, maple and cherry. My husband Michael is a woodworker and he produces bags of it. Can we use it to cover beds, like you used the green clippings? I am wondering if it will decompose. This year I’ve covered the beds with about 4” of straw. I usually remove it in the spring and add it to the compost pile but now I am thinking I may leave it on.

A lot of questions. Take your time to answer, right now we can’t even see the beds from the huge snow fall we’ve received. Lots of time to plan before spring.
Thanks, Trixi
North Vancouver
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Hi Trixi, I plan to leave the Taxus branches on the pathways all year. They take a good year to decompose and I find them a great mulch to cut down on weeds. In the past, when using straw, I have always left it on the bed afterward...you will get some wheat or other grain weeds but they are so easy to pull up, I think the mulch layer is worth it.
I would absolutely cover with the sawdust, and use it in the compost and worm bin too. If it is very fine sawdust you may want to mix it in with some chunkier shavings or mix it with the straw. Some people would express concern about the black walnut and cedar causing issues with preventing other plants from performing but in small quantities I have not noticed an issue. It's a great way to use up what would otherwise go to waste.
Danoost
Site Admin

Also remember that this year's path cover could be next year's compost.

We use this strategy on the farm. Woodchips are often used in the driveway. After a year of decomposition they get soggy so we dig them out, compost them and use them in the beds the following year. We relayer the driveways with fresh woodchips.
CoastRichard

Unfortunately local tree companies are not as willing these days to drop a load of chips for cash.
I would like to create my own woodchips for the compost, paths from abundant local resource - so thinking of getting a chipper. Have used a neighbours small electric unit which kept clogging. Anyone have any suggestions on decent quality hobby farm scale chipper models that can handle up to 2" diameter? Would love to never buy another fossil fuel device but electric but does not seem to be option.
TomF

I have been using wood chips in my paths from local tree service companies. They are clean and weed seed free. Any garden waste that is free of seeds and woody could be used either fresh cut lengths like Jack has or anything from your tree and bush/hedge trimmings. If you have access to a chipper, it sure helps under foot without kicking up long lengths inadvertently.

Saw dust can be a bit of an issue in compost as it can be a bit hydrophobic and if it is wetted, can compact and create anaerobic pockets so blend in smaller portions with larger matter. Also is it from lots of bonded wood like MDF or plywood, which can have a lot of other toxic compounds in it compared to pure wood.

@CoastRichard Hard to believe that you cannot get wood chip drops for free. In north van is is readily available as the companies have to pay 70$ a ton (or something like that) to take it to the transfer station.
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

CoastRichard wrote: Sun 09-Jan-2022, 20:17 Unfortunately local tree companies are not as willing these days to drop a load of chips for cash.
I would like to create my own woodchips for the compost, paths from abundant local resource - so thinking of getting a chipper. Have used a neighbours small electric unit which kept clogging. Anyone have any suggestions on decent quality hobby farm scale chipper models that can handle up to 2" diameter? Would love to never buy another fossil fuel device but electric but does not seem to be option.
I just bought a bear cat from Echo that goes up to 3" For the 3000 or so it cost me I think I could source a lot of wood chips from local sources if possible. Two issues with it: one it sends chips out the bottom, so you constantly need to remove them so it doesn't plug up the exit hole for sawdust. Second issue is that it takes in branches that are no wider than 3" So any side branches or curvy bits have to be pre cut with loppers so it all fits neatly. Chips are amazing though...nice 1/2" or smaller chunks.

Return to “1. Designing for convenience”