Excellent book: Farming While Black

PeasIntheRain

Hi all,

I've just finished Leah Penniman's book Farming While Black and want to highly recommend it (I have no affiliation). It is one of the best gardening/agriculture-related books I've ever read, and I've read more than I'd care to admit on gardening, permaculture, and so on -- plus it knits in community-based movements and social justice. Like almost any agricultural book, it describes modifications to grow non-native species beyond their range but otherwise it aligns well with principles of ecological science, including space efficiency to maximise the surrounding native vegetation.

The author takes an extremely practical approach for instruction, grounded in solid principles. Meanwhile, examples from multiple African countries are provided for specific approaches, tools, or techniques, expanding our understanding of where organic gardening "comes from" and belongs to now. The book is far-ranging (like, recipes to a history of enslaved peoples in North America), but no-till gardening information dominates the book and is well worth a read even if you keep to those sections alone.

Farming While Black is available directly from Soul Fire Farm here: https://soul-fire-farm.myshopify.com/pr ... hile-black

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Return to “General Chit-Chat”