Destroyed winter brassicas

rosbeal

Hello, we have been growing winter cauliflower (Galleon - Westcoast seeds) and winter sprouting purple broccoli ( Santee- Westcoast seeds) for a number of years. We start the seedlings in July and transplant out into a garden bed late in the summer. Here are the preventative measures we take for these plants:
1) deep leaf mulch
2) fabric row cover hung over PVC framework
3) greenhouse plastic once the wetter and cooler temperatures arrive, we lift the plastic off to permit rain to water the plants during warmer spells
4) the plants are in raised beds

All but one plant has survived this past winter. The plants look severely damaged, the stems are mottled mix of white and green. The leaves are droopy and wilted. Has anyone, including Dan & Jack, had success with keeping their brassicas alive during the excessive cold snaps we've had? If so, what did you do differently than we? We live in Richmond which may mean slightly warmer (nearer the ocean) temps than say the fraser valley.
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

At my place we had a really good snow cover and pretty good protection from wind. As a result the brassicas pulled through fine, except where they were more exposed. I didn't do wintering cauliflower this year, but I know that what you are describing is related to the very cold weather we had in December, and I saw the ones at the market are looking just as you described them, with a few stragglers looking barely okay.
You did everything right, the timing of the cold (earlier than usual) and the intensity of the cold was unusual for us so don't write them off for next year.
Andrew
Site Admin

I lost all my kale and brussel sprouts because unlike Jack I had no insulation on my market garden, the harsh wind exposure combined with a lack of snow sent them all to their grave. In previous years I have not lost anything in the winter so I would chalk this up to unusually cold weather and the need for me to provide some protection in coming years if this sort of weather continues.
rosbeal

Thank you Jack & Andrew for your reply. Its good to know that our crop failure was not our failure as gardeners!

Return to “Row covers”