Hi from Thunder Bay Ontario

Let's get to know each other a little better.
SheilaKaarina

Hi. My name is Sheila. Until last fall I lived in the city of Thunder Bay, in a big house in a nice neighbourhood with four raised beds in the backyard and my attempts at raising food were abysmal. Then last November, sort of on a whim, we sold the house in town and moved to an acreage 45 minutes outside of town. We now have 129 acres of mostly forest but about a quarter of the land is overgrown pasture. We are told by the locals that this was a dairy farm years ago. The previous owner operated a greenhouse so the commercial greenhouse is still on the property and operational. By the time we moved in, the snow was falling and it has kept falling and falling until we were buried in it. All my husband did all winter was plow snow. And we still have snow! So I have no idea what the land looks like. I know there is a small vegetable garden and another small greenhouse and more pots than anyone would ever need. The greenhouse has an ingenious germination room so I decided to plant some seeds to see if anything would grow. Well, things germinated very well in that warm little room and now I have more tomato plants than I know what to do with. Today we fired up the heat in the greenhouse and transplanted over 200 hundred weak and leggy tomato plants. Clearly I need help.

I saw the article about this course in the West Coast seeds catalogue about a month ago and have been watching the free videos and thinking about taking it. I have resonated with so much that is discussed as far as food security, self sufficiency, sustainable practices, and nutritious food. I feel this piece of land has been a gift to us and I need to learn to manage it well. I am excited about all the new things I will learn- Bokashi composting! But, I will tell you what finally made my decision to take the course: the other day my husband asked, "What does Dan look like?" Puzzled, I showed him a picture and he said, "Yes, I know him. I had breakfast with him in Toronto last August".
ElysseG

My husband was raised in Thunder Bay...his mama still lives there. Welcome!! Can't wait to see what you do with the property!!
Danoost
Site Admin

Welcome to the course. What a coincidence that I should have met your husband in Toronto last year.
All the best with your growing!

Return to “Introductions”