So much leachate

Vermicomposting uses worms to create nutrient-rich worm castings that significantly improves overall plant health.
ChrisW

I purchased a Hungry Bin from Andrew July 2021 and have it in my kitchen. I have so much leachate at this time and wonder what else I can do with it. Currently, I have been diluting it 10:1 and watering my house plants, but am looking for suggestions on other uses.
Andrew
Site Admin

ChrisW wrote: Wed 12-Jan-2022, 19:07 I purchased a Hungry Bin from Andrew July 2021 and have it in my kitchen. I have so much leachate at this time and wonder what else I can do with it. Currently, I have been diluting it 10:1 and watering my house plants, but am looking for suggestions on other uses.
- You can use it to feed any neighbourhood plant or tree outside.
- If its very dark red / brown, its possibly worth dehydrating and then include the scrapings in your compost pile or soil mix as humates.
- You could use it to inoculate your hot compost compile.
ChrisW

Thanks Andrew.
How do you recommend I dehydrate the liquid?
Do I still dilute it 10:1 to put around trees in the garden?
Andrew
Site Admin

Welcome! Its generally best practice to dilute down 10:1 with dechlorinated water or add to a compost tea. Established trees and perennials can be fed directly without watering down.

To dehydrate the liquid simply leave it out in warm temps. It will eventually form a crust that you can scrape up and now you have humic acid you can mix into your potting mix, add to your compost, or sprinkle as a top dressing. I like to mix it with a tbsp or two of kelpmeal and alfalfa meal along with some fresh worm castings for a real boost to a plant. Sprinkle around the base of your plants (about 1tbsp per plant) and then lightly cover. For best results pull back your mulch layer, apply, and then re-cover with mulch.

Return to “Vermicomposting”