Hi I'm Anya from North Vancouver!

Let's get to know each other a little better.
Anya_Schecter

Hi Everyone!

My name is Anya and I am originally from the east coast, but have been in Vancouver area for 7 years. I am a VERY new Gardener. 2 summers ago I attempted my first time ever balcony garden.. and, well - failed . I want to try again this year, and this time I am MUCH more committed. I also have access to a garden bed in my complex that I will be using, and I am very excited. Eventually we hope to move onto a larger piece of land, where I would like to be fully self sufficient when it comes to produce.

I struggled with some health issues and changing my diet was a huge part of my healing. I have a young 1 and a half year old daughter, and With the state of the world right now I feel as though I have been reawakened, and feel this incessant need to connect to my humanity. I want to explore what it means to be human, and I want to teach my daughter what it means to be human. I want to be connected with our earth, with our food, and with each other. I want to teach her to make her own bread, her own cheese, her own sauces and grow her own food. The way I was when I was a child, but got lost along the way into a world of consumerism and convenience. I have lost touch with my humanness, and I want to come back - and I want to start with growing my own food and building a community. <3
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Hi Anya and welcome! It looks like you've come to the right place.
TomF

Hello Anya. For a balcony garden, you might want to look into wicking beds. I built 4 for our small balcony to get more food growing and it has decent sun. Made them out of the 102 liter strongboxes from Home Depot. They hold 25 litres of water and maintain good moisture and come the heat of the summer still only have to be watered maybe twice a week. I have been doing bush tomatoes with radishes initially. I don't know if wicking beds are covered in this course or not but they are worth the effort and really efficient in water use.
Andrew
Site Admin

Welcome to the course! Container growing can teach you a LOT that is easily transferrable to a larger space. Almost everything we teach in the course is scalable to any context, and certainly this applies to all the core principals.
danadykema

Hey Anya! I am also in North Van, in Lynn Valley. I'm sure you'll have a great year growing this year. If you ever want to have a visit at each others yards to brain storm I'm totally game! This is my 2nd year gardening with LHG. I'm so stoked.

Return to “Introductions”