Rats

Leaf miners, moths, slugs, etc.
Jordana

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with rats in there compost? In my 9 years of composting in my backyard, this is the first time I have had this issue. It has only been a problem for the last 3 weeks or so since we had this cold weather in the Fraser valley. I’m sure it is rats because I came face to face with one. They have excavated and made a pile to the left of my bin despite the fact that I try to layer with leaves and cardboard to avoid food being in the open. My first thought was I need a trap but I know that is a bandaid solution. My eco system is clearly out of balance and short of getting a cat or snake I’m not sure how to deter them from coming. Any suggestions!? Thanks,
Jordana
Attachments
Rats in compost
Rats in compost
2C2B97AB-C495-4675-BCF7-1AB32250DFA6.jpeg (168.16 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

I would trap...I don't see that as a bandaid. The weather was cold, they found a warm place in the compost pile, now you need to move them along! Compost piles tend to have a bad rap because of rats but this is a problem usually associated with winter warmth or adding food scraps to the pile. In your case, I presume it is the temperature. I had them last winter and caught both of them, this year has been okay so far.
Jordana

Thanks for your advice Jack:) I will set a trap today and see if I can catch them.
PeasIntheRain

If you catch it, you can thank it and bury it in the garden to feed the soil and plants. It's all connected!

(I say this in part because of your comment about ecosystem balance: the scale matters. Rats are an invasive-type species group (the species that you're battling might actually be invasive there), and local balance is not going to resolve invasions, just like local balance isn't going to fix climate change in one fell swoop. Don't feel bad or guilty about having a rat around; it's not a sign of failure. Courage!)

Return to “Pests”