How much leachate is typical?

Vermicomposting uses worms to create nutrient-rich worm castings that significantly improves overall plant health.
MForest

Hey Andrew, Is approximately 1 litre of leachate every week to 10 days a typical amount? I finally measured the amount I am getting as I have been wondering if my bin is too wet. The worms all seem happy and are busily getting through all the food I give them. Thanks!
ladyshanny

That to me seems a bit on the low side. When I last asked Andrew about this he reminded me that it is a flow-through system so quite difficult to make it TOO wet and also that worms like it quite wet so he had me watering my bin more often.
MForest

ladyshanny wrote: Wed 19-Jan-2022, 08:13 That to me seems a bit on the low side. When I last asked Andrew about this he reminded me that it is a flow-through system so quite difficult to make it TOO wet and also that worms like it quite wet so he had me watering my bin more often.
Thanks for that. What sort of amount do you get (give or take) on a daily or weekly basis? My worms seem very happy and always get through all the food relatively quickly. My query arose because I don’t tend to get castings dropping down into the tray and had to (kind of) dig them out from the bottom of the bin…
Andrew
Site Admin

If the bin is very hydrated it can make harvesting castings harder. If you want an easy harvest, hold back the liquid until you notice you tray stays consistently dry for a few weeks. What you are feeding your bin, and what you started it with will impact how easily the vermicompost comes out the bottom. Thumping all four sides on the bottom and top can help! I do this before and after a harvest. Afterwards will help the top drop down making room for more food.

Return to “Vermicomposting”