Citrus on the West Coast

Lemon, lime, orange, yuzu, etc.
Tink

Hello!
I live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island and have been gardening my a quarter of an acre for a few years. I’m slowly improving things as I go, and this year plan to put in a fairly large greenhouse (poly). I am not sure yet if it will be heated although hope to be able to include citrus trees in it. I have power going to the area and could heat it and ventilate it. I saw Dans lemon trees in the videos last year and I really want to include any citrus possible so that we are as self sustaining bug as possible.

Do you have any advice to share that might help me in designing the greenhouse and on including citrus in the plan?
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Citrus is a good option if you have a greenhouse. I think you can almost get away with an unheated greenhouse in nanaimo as long as you can keep temperatures above 5 degrees. The citrus doesn't require warm winter temperatures. My tips would be to provide good ventilation to prevent fungal growth on the plants (especially in our moist winters). Keep fans going and open the vents on most days, except when negative temperatures are expected. If you are worried about the odd cold spell that potentially kill the citrus, consider planting them all together in one area of the greenhouse. You could compartmentalize that area off in winter and a small space heater or even a hot bed compost box would work to protect the zone from excessive cold rather then heating an entire greenhouse.
Baker creek seeds recently posted on growing Dekopon Japanese oranges that withstand minus 9celsius (instagram).

Return to “Citrus”