Hi everyone, I'm Lindsay from Maple Ridge

Let's get to know each other a little better.
Lindsaywilkins6

Hi everyone,

I'm Lindsay, I was part of the course last year and converted my garden plot into six raised beds with irrigation. I learned so much and started vermicomposting too.

IMG_2604.jpg
IMG_2604.jpg (327.31 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

After a successful garden season, we actually sold our house and decided to purchase a one acre property with my sister and her husband. This means I can expand my garden and hopefully meet my goal of being able to minimize the produce we need to buy year-round. Right now, I'm trying to determine if the spot I think may be best for the garden will work with the sunlight (we have many tall trees on our property). Pics included below. It looks like the sun will be good there during spring/summer (using Google Earth and previous owners feedback) but I have seen shade there from the trees when I've seen the sun come out in the last week since we've moved so that's disappointing as I'd like to grow over winter too. Hopefully we get more sun this week. Perhaps topping those trees will have to be part of the budget? I'm not quite sure.

I'm trying to take in every tip/idea I can get right now for designing. I'd also like to grow a lot of flowers this year and share them in a stand at the end of our driveway. And plant many fruit trees - I love the idea of espalier.

Lots of goals! Look forward to learning from and with you all!
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (436.17 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (421.72 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
Andrew
Site Admin

Welcome back! Glad to read you've started vermicomposting! In dealing with a new place and not knowing how the lighting is, you might consider going with moveable raised beds using large 100 gallon fabric pots (inexpensive and easily moved, or the soil used to build permanent beds once you know where to put them).

Return to “Introductions”