Hi from Eastern Hillsides, Chilliwack

Let's get to know each other a little better.
Grace Banks

My name is Grace. It has been very special to read all your introductions, so thought I would add my own. When I retired a few years ago, I began at the house and have slowly moved out to reclaim the land. I was thinking about a vegetable garden the same time Dan offered his first course. All I had decided was to use the old chicken run, as it at least had a fence. It was a great relief to discover I did not need to pick every last buttercup, but simply lay down cardboard and place compost over it. I visited many establishments in Chilliwack and finally found a good supply of cardboard. The result that year was so-so, but I was amazed to watch kale and broccoli and cauliflower grow. So much to learn, but seeing plant life flourish has definitely been a highlight. Then to serve food which was just picked is another joy. It tastes so good. Plus, it is a delight to pass by vegetables at the market, food I always used to buy, and know I have my own supply. Who knew squash would last well into the spring?

The challenges have been horsetail and morning glory, not to mention the slugs. Did you know bears really like slug garnished beer trays? Plus I keep wanting to gather more land into the garden, as who wants blackberries on the other side of the fence? Eventually I will reach the forest edge, will I not? So yes, it has become more than I can manage; and then I wonder if there isn’t someone else who would enjoy a little land to garden.

This winter I am trying to set up a bachelor suite for an Airbnb to support the garden – there are so many more trees and shrubs I dream of planting. And maybe this year I will actually make and follow a full action plan. The course has been most inspirational, every year I take it, so thank you.
Willemijn

I loved reading your story, Grace. It is so amazing that you keep expanding your garden. I think you will reach the forest edge one day. I bet there are lots of people who would enjoy some land to garden! The Airbnb idea is lovely! I hope it works out and let us know! Then we can check out your garden at the same time!
Andrew
Site Admin

Welcome to the course Grace! I love the idea of an AirBnb, I look for them when I'm in the wine region as there is nothing more relaxing than staying in a garden!

Return to “Introductions”