Soil Recipe

daveywarren

Good evening,

Can anyone advise on their preferred soil recipe? I am gearing up for my next run in 20 Gallon Grassroots Pots and I'm having a hard time deciding.

Best Regards,
Dave Warren
Andrew
Site Admin

Start with a basic potting mix that is sterile and free from chemical fertiilizers. Blend in with 20% vermicompost and 40% finished compost.

Make your own potting mix by blending 1:1:1 peat/coconutcoir:vermiculite/perlite/ricehulls:compost

This gives you your base mix.

Now you need minerals and some organics to feed your plant:

Per cubic foot of soil add:

1/2 cup of help meal
1/2 cup of alfalfa meal
1/2 cup of insect frass
1 cup of oyster shell flour (or ground up egg shell, baked for 1 hour @ 250F helps them break down quicker)
1 cup of greensand
1 cup of rock dust (dried clay also works)
1 cup of gypsum (if you can't find this replace with calcium carbonate and add 2 tbsp of epsom salt)
60g of SEA-90
4 cups of biochar

You will want to "cook" this mix first by blending it all together, hydrating and then letting it sit and monitor temperature, it may get hot. Let it sit for a week ideally to allow it to go through this cycle as the biology from the composts begins to consume and work on the organics you have added.

If you use Terra Flora living soil as your base, you do not need to add biochar, SEA-90, or vermicompost. You would still blend in finished compost at 40%.

Your composts should be high quality biodynamic composts that are expensive. Without a quality compost a living soil grow will likely struggle from pest pressure especially if indoors.
daveywarren

Thanks Andrew! I appreciate your help and thank you for clarifying. Is there a difference between the Multi use and Foliar SEA-90 or is it just a finer grind so it dissolves more easily?

-Dave
Andrew
Site Admin

Apologies for the late reply I missed this somehow Dave. There is no difference between the two, you nailed it, the finer grind on the foliar just makes it easier to apply.

Return to “Growing Cannabis”