Hungry Bin startup

Vermicomposting uses worms to create nutrient-rich worm castings that significantly improves overall plant health.
Gryphon

Hi,
I bought the Hungry Bin and the extras this Fall. When I went to put it together, I realized I really didn’t know how. I assembled it fine but then what? It would be really, really helpful if you did a video on how to start the Hungry Bin. Watching your latest video, I realize that mine wasn’t nearly wet enough and may be the reason it has failed. But specifically, how much Biochar and Sea-90 and rock dust or sand do you add? Do you layer it throughout the compost you fill the bed with? How much and how often do you add it once the Hungry Bin is operational? Can you add the charcoal produced in a wood stove in place of Biochar? How do you know how much and when to add a carbon bedding material (browns)? All I have seen going into the Hungry Bin so far in videos has been kitchen waste (greens). Thanks for your help.
troy

following this discussion because i bought a hungry bin last week and haven't started it yet...
Andrew
Site Admin

Gryphon wrote: Sat 05-Feb-2022, 10:00 Hi,
I bought the Hungry Bin and the extras this Fall. When I went to put it together, I realized I really didn’t know how. I assembled it fine but then what? It would be really, really helpful if you did a video on how to start the Hungry Bin. Watching your latest video, I realize that mine wasn’t nearly wet enough and may be the reason it has failed. But specifically, how much Biochar and Sea-90 and rock dust or sand do you add? Do you layer it throughout the compost you fill the bed with? How much and how often do you add it once the Hungry Bin is operational? Can you add the charcoal produced in a wood stove in place of Biochar? How do you know how much and when to add a carbon bedding material (browns)? All I have seen going into the Hungry Bin so far in videos has been kitchen waste (greens). Thanks for your help.
Congrats! Yes, adequate moisture is key. Keep adding dechlorinated water 4L/1 gal at a time into the top letting it drip out the bottom and then re-add it to the top until when you add liquid to the top it almost immediately drips out the bottom. Now your bin is perfectly hydrated balanced by gravity just like mother earth.

The biochar and sea-90 can be added when you first build your bin to fortify the compost or material you started with. Biochar at a maximum of 10% by volume (as little as 1% is effective!). Sea-90 weigh out 300g and blend it into your starter compost media before hydrating or add it to your starter water and add as a liquid.

Biochar and sea-90 can also be added monthly. Sprinkle about a quarter cup of biochar over a feed once a month. For sea-90 sprinkle 2 tbsp over the feed or dilute in water and water in once a month.

Yes you can add charcoal produced from a wood stove, but it is not the same as biochar. Biochar is wood or lignin pyrolyzed without the use of oxygen which leaves a carbon stable shell of the lattice of the organic structure. This does not happen when you just normally burn wood. We will be doing a vignette soon to show you how you can make biohar very easily however. Stay tuned!

Browns are a bit tricky, because if you go too heavy you may get heat in the bin which is generally undesirable. It can help (but is not necessary, you can just use your finger) to get an inexpensive thermometer that is at least 16cm / 6inches or longer. This will help you monitor in case you add too much carbon. A few degrees above the ambient temperature is ok. It should never get hotter than 25c/77f. In general I will add a cup or two of shredded cardboard or paper in with a feed once every 6-8 weeks. Note that this will absorb moisture so its good to add some dechlorinated water if your drip tray is bone dry. Keep adding water as described above, until it almost immediately comes out the bottom.

A great method for adding browns is to maintain a shredded paper or cardboard layer that is 12-16cm (4-6") in depth on the top of your food. Pull back the layer each time you feed. Over time the shredded material on the bottom will become part of the food and you can then just re-add shredded material as needed. This can also help remediate fruit fly issues since they are able to hatch but generally able to lay eggs so any fruit flies that appear tend not to develop into an infestation.
Gryphon

Thank you Andrew. That helps a lot.
Kurtis

I'm thinking of keeping the bin out in my garden rather than at the house. I imagine that it's fine to throw weeds (incl. with potential seeds) into the bin. Is that right?
Danoost
Site Admin

Yes, you can throw weeds (even ones with viable seeds) into your bin. The soil food web members will take care of them.

Return to “Vermicomposting”