Violette Bourdeau Fig Tree

rosbeal

Hello, We would like to plant a fig tree that would produce fruits for harvest in August. We have one fig tree that doesn't produce its fruit until mid September when we are plagued by lots of wet weather and cooler temperatures. At this time of the year in the Westcoast (we live in Richmond) what fruit is produced is tasteless and is taken by thieving birds or rodents before sweetening. Does anyone know:
1) when the Violette Bourdeau Fig tree (purple skin and red interior) has fruit for harvest in our region (the lower mainland)? As I mentioned we're looking for an August producing variety.
2) where to obtain a seedling of this variety?
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

I think your best options for early fruiting in our cooler climate are Dessert King or Brown Turkey. I have had good success with the former, where it fruited early and sometimes managed to get a few fruits later as well depending on the seasonal temperatures into October. I can't really speak to violette de Bourdeaux for success but I know Devon in Aldergrove had a few plants last year.
rosbeal

Hello Jack, thanks for your response. I'd like to contact the individual you mentioned "Devon" in Aldergrove, as he might have some fig trees we'd be interested in. Can you send me the link to either his website, e-mail address, phone number or business name??

I'd really appreciate having this information as I'd like to get the tree fairly soon.

Bobby
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Return to “D. Permaculture”