Apple Tree Posts with the Trees right beside the post

ChrisW

Hi Jack and Dan, I would like to plant a couple of dwarf apple trees that will grow next to round posts like at Local Harvest. How were these posts established? How deep was the post hole? Do they have concrete around the base of the post or were they supported with tamped 3/4 crushed gravel? With either of these methods, how did the apple seedling get planted so close to the post (i.e. there would have been concrete or gravel surrounding the post)?

Will the trees eventually get strong enough to support themselves without the post if I keep the apple trees pruned back like how Jack illustrated in the video? Or is the root system not extensive enough to provide adequate support because of the continuous pruning (i.e. I am wondering if the root system is relative to the size of the dwarf trees).

Thanks for your help with this. I have not had success with fruit trees in the past and so would like to get off to a good start this time.
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Hi Chris, these posts are just pushed into the soft ground without any concrete or tamped gravel. they will stay standing for years without any anchoring needed. This was done with machine, though I have done it with a post pounder and a lot of grunts and sweat. You can rent one if you don't have one. The advantage to pounding them in is that you don't disturb the soil and they will remain very firm. If you dig the hole and then tamp to back fill you will notice that the post will be a bit loose in the socket. I have sometimes (in compacted soil) had to dig a foot down first then pounded the post in the rest of the way after that.
For trees on dwarf roots stock you will want to keep them in permanently. Ive seen 15 year old trees topple with the weight of a good crop and a strong wind. The Tree gets planted as close to the post as possible (they were bare root at the time so allowed them to be closer.
Here are a few more tips to make sure you are successful this time round
1. use wood chips in the top 8" around the newly planted tree (partially composted would be great, but even fresh is good.
2. make sure the site is sunny and soil is well drained.
3. the more air flow around the plants the better, so an open site if possible is best (dries out the plants quicker to reduce fungal problems)
4.do summer pruning
5. pick the right varieties
ChrisW

Thank you Jack, this is all really helpful. I was not aware of a fence post pounder/driver.
Are the posts at Local Harvest pressure treated? If not, where do you find non-treated round posts?
Can you recommend a couple of apple varieties that are good in our area.
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

For the posts, you could try a livestock supply store, I think they are now carrying untreated posts.

some great varieties for the west coast are florina, freedom or akene to name a few.
Cliffsidegardens

Check out this company. They have an INCREDIBLE selection and are super helpful. They deliver to the mainland and ship bare root trees for I think the same price, so if you're ordering more than 1 tree it's a pretty good deal (ask your neighbours if they want some too). I have little self control apparently, and have 6 different trees from them, hopefully will get the first fruit this year! Ashmeads Kernel, Arkansas Black, Lord Lambourne, Belle de Boskoop, Winter Banana, Chestnut Crabapple. I'm SO stoked to get them producing!

https://www.saltspringapplecompany.com/

Return to “Apple”