Quince in my backyard - a surprise!

ChrisW

I have a Quince Tree in my yard. Several years ago I had purchased a 5-variety pear tree but didn't know how to prune it properly and the last two years the root stock took over. It was a neighbour of mine who said it was a Quince. What a surprise! I then had to learn how to eat Quinces and how to cook them into a sauce.
Jack, do I now prune the Quince tree like a pear tree - open in the middle for light? Are there are any specific things to do to maintain a Quince?
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

That is kind of funny, our neighbour was complaining about his "hard misshapen pears" too, so pretty common issue. We get all of them now, and I don't know how they compare to other quince cultivars because these were intended for root stock and not necessarily for production. In answer to your question, I would treat it like the pear when it comes to pruning. They are also quite vigorous so be fierce if you want to maintain a manageable size. If it threw up multiple stems, I would thin them out to a singe stem to get a real tree.
Cliffsidegardens

I was gifted some quince two years ago and made the most beautiful quince paste and quince and riesling jelly, which was such a treat on crackers with cheese. The old world flavour was pretty special. I hope you enjoy!

Return to “Quince”