Mulch and new raised beds

Trisho

I have 2 new raised beds, one was started in the Fall and one more recently just a couple of months ago. I put cardboard on the bottom, then covered with mushroom manure and and leaves. Because the leaves (mulch) haven't all broken down I know I will need to add more soil to the beds so they will be ready for transplants or direct sowing. My question is whether or not to add the soil - maybe general garden soil mixed with compost - directly on top or to remove some of the mulch first. I'm just not sure the beds will be ready to receive seeds or transplants soon enough. Thanks for any help!
Willemijn

I would put the soil right on top of the mulch! I have to add soil to my garden beds every year.
Danoost
Site Admin

Trisho, I'm wondering why you feel the beds need to be topped up? Has the material settled?

I recommend you top them up in late fall if at all possible. It always takes some time for new soils to develop and the introduction of new material could make things unsettled impacting your early spring planting or seeding.

People who are building new raised beds and starting gardens right now, don't have a choice by adding new materials to get started. But since your beds are somewhat established I'd think twice about adding new material right now.

The best way to top up beds is by continuously adding new mulch/compost material throughout the growing season. Once your plants are established you can add around 2 cm of compost or mulch around the base of the plants every week as they grow. You can top them up more liberally in the fall and winter once your cover crop or winter crops are established.
Trisho

Thanks for the reply :) I think that these particular beds are not established enough so I won't have a choice other than to add some more soil. In the Fall I will carry on properly!

Return to “Mulching”