building a compost bin

janiceraven

I am ready to build a compost that will have 3 4'x4' bins side by side sharing walls. I am uncertain as to whether I should make the walls solid or build with slats. I don't have the resources or strength to create a hot compost, so the idea is that these will create compost over months, rather than weeks. They will mainly be filled with masses of maple leaves. I look forward to getting your opinion(s).
Andrew
Site Admin

Hi Janice,

I would lean towards slats myself as you would use less materials and the benefit of allowing for more aeration. The downside is that you need to be more attentive to ensure the pile stays adequately hydrated (not really a problem in our zone (7) until June because we get so much rain but depending on where you are (california for example) you might be better off going solid wood.

Your plan sounds good, the leaves make great compost, just keep piling them on a let the sit for a good year. Start building a pile now for use this time next year.

Does that help?
TomF

If you have time to wait and your piles will see a few turns over the year, try to get as much diversity of materials in your piles as you can. Every different plant material will bring in different microbes and nutrients. The plants will mine the soil for the nutrients it needs though the root exudates it puts out to feed the microbes it needs to get the minerals it needs. So the plant material, after it has done its thing, will have all the nutrients it needed (if it was grown with a healthy soil food web) So if just putting leaves in, you will get a good product but it will lack in diversity and the key to all this is diversity. more diversity of materials, more diversity of microbes and nutrients. More diversity in your compost, more chance your plants will have available to them the nutrients and microbes it needs.

Return to “Composting”