Brand new garden beds

Cliffsidegardens

We are actively digging up our entire property and putting in new grass, perennial tree/flower beds and a large in ground garden patch for vegetables. I'm wondering how best to start the soil going this year, and how to layer it. My initial thoughts were regular top soil (that will cover everything and turn to grass elsewhere in the yard), then layer wood chips, partially decomposted horse manure, leaves from last year and finished compost, top it off with 1-2 inches of high quality organic garden soil, Sea-90 and biochar. Does that sound like a good start? Is it ok to have the lower layers not turned/be anaerobic? For subsequent years I plan to use what I can get for free, which is composted horse/chicken bedding and manure, leaves and cover crops. Would anyone suggest different?

Would you do something different than regular topsoil for new grass? I'm inspired by Vanessa at May Blooms with her pasture, but I'm not sure that would work or how to do it in the city with only access to commercial bulk compost
Danoost
Site Admin

I think your layering strategy is good. If things are weedy currently, you may wish to cover with cardboard first to kill weeds so they don't push through your mulch layer. Won't become anaerobic unless you have a drainage problem.

For grass that is going to be mowed, I wouldn't use this approach as it'll settle and probably become quite bumpy. I would add an inch of fine compost and plant into that for the mowed area. It's not typically the idea to cover to kill weeds for a lawn as most weeds are killed through repeated mowing. Clover, buttercup and dandelion, however, don't mind mowing. These weeds would need to be dealt with prior to seeding your lawn. Unless, you don't mind these plants in your lawn.

Return to “1. Cover the ground with organic matter”