Cardboard in the Garden

For course and other questions which are unrelated to specific topics or crops classified below.
LoresaT

Hello All,
I just have a question regarding cardboard used in the garden for layering, we have done this back in October for our about 1000 sq ft garden , some boxes were from dollar store some from food stores. My MIL is now concerned that it may be leaching toxins into the garden.

Is this anything anyone is concerned about or should we be concerned about this? We have heavy weeds in our beds and that is why we did it.

Thank you
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

This is a really common practice to help reduce the weed burden in a garden and give a fresh start so to speak, and even among die hard organic growers the practice is pretty standard. However, there will be some chemicals both in the adhesives and the dyes that will leach into the soil and you'd have little guarantee that the chemicals used were plant based. (more on this from OSU prof.Linda Scott) in the link following

gardenprofessors.com

My personal take on this is to carry on, it is a one time thing and the abundant examples of people using this method with great success is enough evidence for me that it works to kill perennial weeds and helps get a new garden established.
LoresaT

Thank you !
Trixi Agrios

After Dan gives your project a thumbs up no additional advice is needed however I thought I’d share the success of Loutet Farm, an edible garden project in North Vancouver. It is amazing what you can grow and do with a parking lot!
Started in 2011 on a compacted public dirt parking lot this 1/2 acre market garden was built with the no till cardboard and mulch method. After one year we started selling produce and now, 10 years later, Loutet Farm and a one-third acre Schoolyard Market Garden at Sutherland Secondary sells all the food we grow at our Farmers Market twice a week, we host interns, volunteer groups, tours and community potlucks. We grew and sold over 14,000 lbs of our farm produce in 2021!
We grow and harvest fresh veggies, and partner with local food security organizations to distribute them to those most in need in our community.
Over 5200 lbs of food was donated in 2021!
We deliver programming in childcare centre gardens, elementary schools and highschools, and offer workshops, lectures and presentations to people of all ages.We teach and learn with over 2000 children and adults annually.
https://ediblegardenproject.com/
Danoost
Site Admin

That's awesome! I'll follow them on IG to learn more. Sounds like a wonderful project.

Return to “General Questions”