Vermicomposting

Vermicomposting uses worms to create nutrient-rich worm castings that significantly improves overall plant health.
Karen MacB

I want to learn how/do small scale worm farming this year for my gardens and have so many questions. Is there a specific kind of worm that works best for this and where can I source the worms from? Also, how do they not freeze in the winter if I don’t want them in my house? Our garage got to below freezing with this arctic outflow weather we’ve been having. Would I just plan to release them into the garden each fall and start up again each spring?
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Hi Karen, I'm glad you are asking question on the very day that we filmed an entire session devoted to that topic. Andrew and Dan went through this and way more today during filming. I think it will be a few weeks before the film is loaded on the website so I will give you a quick answer for now but look back at the course module for more information on feeding and caring for worms.

The worms are attuned to dropping temperatures in the bin and begin shedding cocoons. Even if your entire adult population were to be frozen to death, the cocoons will repopulate the bin in the spring as the temperatures increase. This was also experienced during the summer when some people lost their entire population of worms in a heat wave, only to have them bounce back through the cocoons hatching after temperatures declined.
wally

Hi Karen
I have been doing vermicompost for a few years now and have done it a few ways. Started off with the worm tower and have built a 3 ft by 5 ft heated bin made from yellow cedar that works fine if you want lots of vermicompst. This company https://terrafloraorganics.com/ sells red wigglers and the hungry bin vermicompost system. I like the features of this one and seems really practical. I am consider buying one myself. They sell red wigglers too. It doesn't really matter what you use to make it, as long as you use vermicompost. Really makes the garden healthy.

Wally
Karen MacB

Thank you Jack and thank you Wally for your replies. They were helpful and I look forward to learning even more in the course this year as content becomes available.
MForest

I bought a hungry bin and red wrigglers from terrafloraorganics last May and have been delighted with how well the worms have performed—there are zillions more of them than at the outset, I’ve used some castings and the leachate (regularly) and in fact sifted out the worms and started a new batch of soil/compost, after which I used all the castings from the bin…the plants love everybody bit of castings and leachate I can give them. Many of the worms have made their way into various beds and this system makes much shorter work of our kitchen scraps than my lazy person’s cold composting system. The system is a winner, as far as I’m concerned.
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

MForest wrote: Thu 30-Dec-2021, 21:46 I’ve used some castings and the leachate (regularly) and in fact sifted out the worms and started a new batch of soil/compost, after which I used all the castings from the bin…the plants love everybody bit of castings and leachate I can give them.
This has been a game changer for us with indoor plants. We only water with worm leachate diluted to about 1:10 with water. Plant health is noticeably improved.
MForest

Yes—10:1 is how I’ve been diluting the leachate, as per Andrew’s directions; truly a game changer as I keep adding layers and attempting improvements in the soil quality…one day/season at a time, right?
troy

MForest wrote: Thu 30-Dec-2021, 21:46 I bought a hungry bin and red wrigglers from terrafloraorganics last May and have been delighted with how well the worms have performed—there are zillions more of them than at the outset, I’ve used some castings and the leachate (regularly) and in fact sifted out the worms and started a new batch of soil/compost, after which I used all the castings from the bin…the plants love everybody bit of castings and leachate I can give them. Many of the worms have made their way into various beds and this system makes much shorter work of our kitchen scraps than my lazy person’s cold composting system. The system is a winner, as far as I’m concerned.
do you find having this system on wheels beneficial? i'm debating whether or not to build my own system or pony up and buy a hungry bin. i've heard great things about the hungry bin...
MForest

TBH, when full, the Hungry Bin is very heavy; not readily moved by me. I keep mine in our garage year round where I can keep the temp relatively stable during the winter (they wouldn’t be very happy with the snow and cold we’ve had this week. So while I don’t move it full, it is easy for me (oldie grandma who is relatively strong) to move around in the garage when empty to half full. But I’ve had other worm bins before (homemade and commercial) and this one is hands down the easiest to manage in all respects and has certainly proven to be very efficient.
Andrew
Site Admin

troy wrote: Fri 31-Dec-2021, 16:54
MForest wrote: Thu 30-Dec-2021, 21:46 I bought a hungry bin and red wrigglers from terrafloraorganics last May and have been delighted with how well the worms have performed—there are zillions more of them than at the outset, I’ve used some castings and the leachate (regularly) and in fact sifted out the worms and started a new batch of soil/compost, after which I used all the castings from the bin…the plants love everybody bit of castings and leachate I can give them. Many of the worms have made their way into various beds and this system makes much shorter work of our kitchen scraps than my lazy person’s cold composting system. The system is a winner, as far as I’m concerned.
do you find having this system on wheels beneficial? i'm debating whether or not to build my own system or pony up and buy a hungry bin. i've heard great things about the hungry bin...
Yes the wheels help. The bin is very heavy when full especially if properly hydrated, so I recommend sticking to flat areas. I bring mine onto my balcony which has a single step which I have to bring the bin over and without the wheels it wouldn't be possible. I recommend emptying some of the contents if you have a big move in mind.

Return to “Vermicomposting”