Vermicomposting

Vermicomposting uses worms to create nutrient-rich worm castings that significantly improves overall plant health.
Andrew
Site Admin

Karen MacB wrote: Wed 29-Dec-2021, 12:35 I want to learn how/do small scale worm farming this year for my gardens and have so many questions. Is there a specific kind of worm that works best for this and where can I source the worms from? Also, how do they not freeze in the winter if I don’t want them in my house? Our garage got to below freezing with this arctic outflow weather we’ve been having. Would I just plan to release them into the garden each fall and start up again each spring?
The best worms are ones that are indigenous to your area if possible, or are from the same general zone. For example, I wouldn't purchase worms from Alabama and try and use them in BC. Worms from your local area will best handle both ends of the spectrum.

For worms not to freeze your bin needs to be large enough so they can survive.

Inside a garage is a good place.

More than just wanting our worms to survive, we want them to work all winter if possible too, so the ideal temperature range to achieve this is going to be 10-25 C.

In the spring you can put worms into your garden. The best time to do it is after terminating a cover crop or some crop so that the worms have something to eat. If you don't give them something they are likely to leave. They will want to be protected by a mulch layer ideally.
troy

Andrew wrote: Mon 03-Jan-2022, 17:04
Yes the wheels help. The bin is very heavy when full especially if properly hydrated, so I recommend sticking to flat areas. I bring mine onto my balcony which has a single step which I have to bring the bin over and without the wheels it wouldn't be possible. I recommend emptying some of the contents if you have a big move in mind.
thanks!
PLAXTONPLANTS

Hello, brand new here to the community, and re trying worm bin round 2 :)

Just watched the videos in Mod A and I wrote down some questions while watching.
I did the same size blue rubbermaid as in video with Andrew, last year and come winter I just didn't know if they would freeze (my husband did not want them in our garage- he saw how often they crawled out, so justified...lol) so I let them go into my vegetable garden and planned to try again this year but with more knowledge.

I see you mentioned to make sure the bin is big enough to keep the frozen weather away. I used the same size as in your video. Would you keep that on a back deck over our winters, or maybe cover it with a loose tarp? Or the bin in an even bigger bin with good air holes to insulate it? ( located Abbotsford B.C)

In the video, you mention you did a feed, I'd love to see what a feeding size looks like. Do you cover the scraps? leave them on top? I've done the side to side feeding method so they "travel" back and forth and lightly cover. Do worms prefer to be less disturbed in their home?

Food scraps often have fruit flies on them. How do you keep them out of the worm bin if eggs attach? Last year I chopped up our scraps ( to help with break down time and more surface area), froze,(to kill eggs) then thawed, then fed. Is there an easier route to go?

It was a bit hard to tell in the video the consistency of what a healthy balanced bin should look like, moisture-wise. Would have helped with some touching of it maybe to see how wet or dry to aim for. I liked the idea of bottom drain holes for blue bin system. Would you attach screen to the bottom to make sure they don't crawl down and drown in the next bin layer?

I couldn't find the balance I guess in mine as It seemed when I would feed them, the lid would have them all around the edges, some crawled out and hid under the bin itself to stay protected, so many up the walls- constantly flicking them down. That was discouraging and I want to do better this year- help!

When starting a brand new bin, is there a bedding that needs to be prepared for the worms? Or just what they come in is good?

Would love to come get some worms from you Andrew- are they native to us as you suggest?

Thanks for any help!
cwilson9

Thanks to a head cold, I was not aware that my vermicompost was smelling until my hubby came home from a few days away. Sadly, tonnes of worms had died already. I think it was too wet and anaerobic, so I fluffed it all up and mixed in dry newspaper bedding to try to soak things up (the lack of smell came in handy with that haha). I also drilled a few more holes in the lid (it's the style of Andrew's original wooden stacking boxes).

Any other recommendations?

Also, can worms tolerate things like old sauerkraut or is that too salty?

Thanks!

Return to “Vermicomposting”