Gro lights

Jordana

Hi gardening friends,
I am looking for your recommendations on a gro light for starting seeds. I have struggled to grow peppers, tomatoes and eggplant in my large south facing window and have decided this year I will invest in a heat mat and gro light. I see lots of YouTube clips of people using them in their basement but does anyone use one in their greenhouse? I’d like to put mine in my outdoor greenhouse but it’s not well sealed and does have some moisture in it which I am worried might ruin the light over time. Thanks for sharing your thoughts:)
Jordana
Danoost
Site Admin

There should be no need for grow lights in your greenhouse if you live in the lower mainland or below the 49th parallel. We do all our transplant starts here at the market garden in a heated greenhouse starting in late February. Results are great.

As for grow lights, I recommend you visit a hydroponic store and purchase full spectrum lights that closely simulate the light produced by the sun.
Jordana

Thanks for the suggestion, I visited a hydroponics store and got myself a light! Going to do an experiment with some plants under it and other not in my greenhouse. I have my heat loving crops (tomatoes, eggplants and peppers) on a heat mat but do not have any other source of heat in there. It heats well during the day but looses all the heat at night. Would you suggest putting a heater in there and just Turing it on low at night? I plan on only leaving the tray on the mat until the seeds germinate then I will remove them. This is my first time using a mat but I hear you can burn the roots if you leaving the seedlings on them. Maybe the seedling would like a heater? I am in maple ridge, so not far from you. Thanks Dan :)
Danoost
Site Admin

You'll speed things up a bit by putting a heater in the greenhouse and by keeping the temperature above 15C. If you're concerned about too much heat from the mat, you can buffer that by laying down a towel on top of the mat and your trays on top of that.

Return to “Growing Transplants”