Sprouting sweet potatoes

Jordana

I saw Dan’s sweet potatoes growing in his greenhouse last year and was super inspired! I did not realize you could grow them here. I would like to try going then as well. Jack I see the ones you tried to sprout from costco are not working therefore my question is can you successfully do this with a grocery store sweet potato or does anyone have a locally grown one I could buy to sprout?

Also, can you use this same process and grow yams here? I’d love some homegrown yam fries!
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Jordana wrote: Tue 22-Mar-2022, 10:33 I saw Dan’s sweet potatoes growing in his greenhouse last year and was super inspired! I did not realize you could grow them here. I would like to try going then as well. Jack I see the ones you tried to sprout from costco are not working therefore my question is can you successfully do this with a grocery store sweet potato or does anyone have a locally grown one I could buy to sprout?

Also, can you use this same process and grow yams here? I’d love some homegrown yam fries!
Actually 2 of the three from Costco are working but the time frame was 8 weeks to sprout as opposed to 2 weeks. I am now getting some 1/2 inch shoots on supermarket tubers. If you are in the fraser valley I will also have some rooted cutting available soon (which you can take more cuttings from)
Jordana

Good to know the Costco ones finally worked! I was thinking what type of modification have they undergone if they don’t sprout. I am in maple ridge and will come out your way when the cuttings are ready. Just let me know. Thanks Jack!

Return to “Sweet Potatoes”