Rabbit manure and leaves

Ryan.Bjorgaard

Hello,
We are novices when it comes to gardening (have done vegetables for a few years now, but without much effort put in), so have never really done much with our soil; we have two raised garden beds. We are hoping to boost the soil's nutrient profile, but is it too late to do so before planting imminently? We have lots of rabbit manure from a friend and access to lots of decomposed leaves. Should we cover the soil with either or both of these before planting vegetables, or hold onto it to use later in the growing season after things sprout? I just watched the first module and saw that leaves were considered good to use, but I know the video was filmed in November.
Thanks!
Sarah
PeasIntheRain

Ryan.Bjorgaard wrote: Thu 31-Mar-2022, 14:12 We have lots of rabbit manure from a friend and access to lots of decomposed leaves. Should we cover the soil with either or both of these before planting vegetables, or hold onto it to use later in the growing season after things sprout? I just watched the first module and saw that leaves were considered good to use, but I know the video was filmed in November.
Thanks!
Sarah
Hi Sarah,
Leaves are good to use anytime: if you are direct seeding, pull aside the leaf mulch from the spot where you are placing the seed (especially if it's something that needs sunlight to sprout). Otherwise just pull aside a bit and pop in your transplant, then make sure the mulch isn't covering up the baby plant.

Rabbit manure is a pretty easy one to use. For safety, most manures need to be applied 3 months prior to harvest and chicken etc. need to be well composted first, but rabbit manure is less demanding. I'd put the manure on right now as a compost/fertiliser and still cover it up with leaves. Here's one university extension article: https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/bunny_hon ... fertilizer

Hope that helps,
Tiffany
Ryan.Bjorgaard

Thank you, that is very helpful! I also am working my way through the compost videos now, and am thinking I should start my own compost soonish for next year. I am thinking I will keep some rabbit manure and leaves in, and add carbon material as I obtain it. If anyone has any tips they want to share, please do post - I am a total amateur. ;)

Thanks
Sarah

Return to “1. Cover the ground with organic matter”