What is happening to my tomato seedlings!

Serafina

A couple days ago I noticed 2 out of 21 of my tomato seedlings look sick. Both seedlings are cherry tomatoes variety “sugary.”and they are in the same tray as the rest of them and the rest look great. The leaves are curling upwards and they have purple veins, and the underside of the leaves are purple. There is also yellow spots starting. And little tiny bumps on the undersides of the leaves. Any idea what this could be? And what I should do? I’m worried the others will eventually get it too. Any help appreciated! Thank you
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Are you able to post a picture of the seedlings (including the healthy ones in the shot?
Serafina

Hi Jack, thanks for your response…I have tried to post pics but it’s saying the files are too big. I’ve tried from my phone and from my computer even making them smaller. Sorry I’m not very good with computers! Can I email them to you?
Danoost
Site Admin

email them to:

members at localharvestgardening dot com
Damien
Site Admin

Hello Serafina,

I've resized and uploaded the photos you emailed. For future reference, please refer to my welcome post here as it includes a link to an online tool that allows you to resize photos and steps on how to add them to forum posts.

The embedded photos below can be viewed in higher resolution at https://localharvestgardening.com/forumimgs

I'm just the tech guy, so I'll leave it to Jack or Dan to comment on the state of your tomato seedlings.

Thanks,

Damien

Danoost
Site Admin

I don't believe there is anything to worry about here. The tomatoes look just fine.

Environmental stresses of indoor growing with artificial lighting especially as the tomatoes become more rootbound can impact the plants ability to take up nutrients.

In my experience, potting them up in a larger container can help.

By the time they're put out into the garden in great soil, they'll turn around.
Serafina

Thank you Damien for uploading my photos and showing me how to upload them for future posts. Thank you Dan for your response here and in the email. I have transplanted a couple that had the most leaf curl into larger pots and the leaves are still curling but I’m hoping they will bounce back soon! I’ll let you know how they do.

Thanks,
Serafina

Return to “Growing Transplants”