Buying compost

SCalberta

I have been shopping for compost.
One long standing local company has compost that has been aged for 2 years, uses chicken and horse manure (some straw in it) and wood chips. They say they also do lab tests and try to keep Ph near neutral.
They suggest spreading only up to 2 in on soil because it creates too much “green” in plants otherwise (say as their customers have made the comment about too much “green”)
Does that mean there is still uncomposted nitrogen? If I purchase it should I put carbon on top - brown leaves and 4-5 yr old wood chips I have available.
Or if I purchase it should I let it sit in a pile and add to my beds in the fall?
And why only 2 inches recommended?
Cheers Sabrina
SCalberta

I am going to reply to my own questions - BUT would still appreciate any comments that provide further insight -

1. I did buy 3 cubic yards of this compost and it was delivered yesterday. It met the touch, smell and look/color test recommended by Andrew in one of his compost videos. The compost did seem a bit dry ? - a problem in this part of Canada/ eastern slopes of Rockies and Grassland- and we have had very dry weather. Should it be moistened?

2. It must be the chicken manure that has created excess nitrogen in the compost? Compost is approx 2 years.
So I added about 2 inches of compost to my raised beds and then covered it with about 2 inches of mulch -very well decomposed wood chips and leaves (they were around a birch tree for about 4/5years) I am assuming adding a carbon/ mulch layer on top would help and would also protect the compost? We now have very cold spring weather in Calgary.

3. I bought too much compost and am keeping a pile on north side of my fence for the summer and will add in the fall to veg beds. I am storing it in a cool spot for the summer and will cover with a layer of fresh wood chips moistened?
Is this a good way to store/ compost for later use? What do you suggest for storing?
What happens to the microbial life while it is stored for about 4 months?
Cheers Sabrina
SCalberta

Thanks Andrew - you addressed this post in May 2 zoom meeting on Composting general questions.

Return to “Composting”