Hello from Eastern Ontario

Let's get to know each other a little better.
Jenni

Hello, I’m Jenni and I live on a lake on 3 acres of mostly forest north of Kingston, Ontario with my husband and son.
I’ve moved around a lot because of work and have always tried to grow food wherever we were, whether it was pots on a condo balcony or putting in beds - with mixed success depending on method and location (high desert in Northern Nevada was a failure!).

We moved to our current house in summer 2020 and as we intend to stay put here, and I also left work to be at home with our son, we wanted to establish a garden that would work in the long-term. I read some permaculture books and after making the various maps realized there was no suitable spot directly around our house. So last year we cleared some forest on the hill behind and put in raised beds (we’re on bedrock) and a small greenhouse, surrounded by a deer fence.

I’ve been trying to learn more about year round gardening (I’m currently experimenting to figure out what will be tolerated in the climate here) as previously I’ve only grown in the warm season. I want to understand better ways to do things in my home garden and making compost is new to me.

Although I’m late to join the course (I just saw a link when I was checking on my seed potato order from West Coast Seeds), I’ve been trying to catch up with the posted materials and webinars, and learning so much already, what a great resource and exactly what I was looking for! Can’t wait to continue learning and get involved with the community.
Danoost
Site Admin

Hi!
Welcome to the course. Thanks for sharing some of your gardening past.
You're not late to the course as the content can be absorbed at your own pace.

Return to “Introductions”