Plants for Erosion Control on Terraced Slopes

For course and other questions which are unrelated to specific topics or crops classified below.
mroos

Hi,
We are building some terraced beds on the slope behind our house. I want to plant something(s) on the slopes between the beds to protect the soil and prevent erosion. Any ideas? I was thinking low growing perennials and/or annuals but are there any vegetables that would do well there? Maybe strawberries?
Thanks,
Marie
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Strawberries make a great ground cover for partial shade to full sun sites. I have a bed that we did here at the nursery intermingled with a few shrubs and rhubarb plants. With in a year the strawberries have entirely coverd the ground which of course will prevent erosion. An added benefit is that the ground cover eliminates weed growth to and will make it very low maintenance. It is important to start as weed free as possible so if there is weed pressure from perennial weeds you will be best off to put down some cardboard first the layer some good compost on top. OUr plants have done amazingly well in compost with a high proportion of wood chips.

Return to “General Questions”