Pruning grapevine

Olga

Question for Jack or Dan. Can you please explain how to prune a grapevine after the first year? Is it possible to train it to stay compact, almost like a small tree, instead of putting it on the trellis to grow horizontally? Thanks.
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Hi Olga, they are very vigorous, but you could train them as a small tree (we have one in our nursery that we do this way). You will definitely require a strong support stake or post to hold up the plant. The key is frequent summer pruning to maintain a small crown. You will see the developing grapes will be forming fairly close to the main stem so make sure you leave them alone. Prune out the agressive growth beyond the ripening fruit once in late June or early July and again in August. This will also allow sunlight to get at the fruit.
Olga

Jack - thank you. Do you have any photos of your “ tree-grape” by any chance? While it sounds exactly what I’m looking for, a visual will be very handy.
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

I don't have any photos of the grape but on your next visit to the nursery I would be happy to show it to you.

Return to “Apple”