Pumpkins/squash not growing

Buttercup, butternut, hubbard, kabocha, pie pumpkin, etc.
Kristin

Hi there,
I last year I did a 3 sisters bed, and this year in the same spot I added new compost over the overwintered bed (overtop leaves and some straw). It’s been unusually cold/damp spring on south vancouver island, but my squash are way behind this year.I’ve got pole beans again planted with them, and tomatoes on the end.

I had some starts in the house - after going out most have basically not grown farther after transplant early in June. Leaves are yellow and I’m only getting male flowers. Some starts died on transplant. I reseeded some directly mid-June, and they’ve been a couple inches high for weeks, not getting bigger, and with yellow leaves. Ants and slugs have been problematic with some, but I just don’t get why they’re not growing.

Anyone else having this problem?
OpenField

Hi there,

It happened to me when planting squash directly on a pile of woodchip. You mentioned that you added compost directly on non decomposed mulch (leaves and some straw), if the roots are mainly interacting with non decomposed or in process of decomposition mulch, then your subtrate is basically sequestrating nutrients. I would advice you to remove any leaves and straw until you reach the earth/decomposed substrate, plant your squash there and add compost on top.

The Local Harvest guys should explain how do they manage to decompose such amounts of woodchips from year to year in their market garden, thats the tricky question I would like to know :twisted: .
Kristin

Thanks, I was wondering if that was the problem. For the existing squash that are still small I could probably dig them out and replant removing the undecomposed substrate and adding some nutrient rich compost. Worth a try since they look like they’ll fail anyhow!
Danoost
Site Admin

Cucurbits thrive in rich soil. If you have stunted growth, likely reasons are poor nutrition, compaction or too wet.

Traditionally, gardeners would mound their pumpkins and squash. The hills would consist of well rotted compost. Animal manures that are well rotted are preferred. Seed is pushed into the mound. When the plants form their larger true leaves, mulch with woodchips or straw to conserve moisture. Keep ground moist but not saturated.

Return to “Pumpkins & squash”