Bokashi leachate

Bokashi composting is an anaerobic process that converts food wastes into an amazing soil amendment.
MForest

Hi there,

I've got two different bokashi buckets sitting; one since April and I closed off the other about a month ago. I think the leachate can be used as a fertilizer if very diluted. Is the ration 100:1 water to leachate? The bucket contents of the first one don't smell much at all, but the leachate is pretty strong smelling. The second one bucket had fish in it and I think should sit longer... Any answers/comments? Thanks!
Andrew
Site Admin

Yes, dilute it down until no smell and colour is very muted, 100:1 is a good ratio. If it still smells strong at this dilution you can safely go with more water, better safe than sorry. It can carry a smell after you have added the water but it should be very soft compared to raw.

I'm afraid I can't really give you any advice for the 2nd bucket. There is never a problem letting them sit longer! The best advice is to try it, if it doesn't kill anything then you're onto something :D

Return to “Bokashi”