bean shoots all eaten

Kurtis

So, this has happened 3 years running now. I've got a garlic bed (about 10'x12') and I have to water it (drip irrigation) right until I pull the garlic in July because the hoses are connected to another bed that needs the water (I hope to change that next season). The garlic is covered in a thick straw mulch from the previous winter. When I pull the garlic in mid July, I plant bush beans. As the bush beans come up, they get eaten almost immediately, I think by wood lice/pill bugs. This year I planted about 40' of beans and I think 3 plants survived... any thoughts?
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

I doubt that your issue is pill bugs as they tend to feed on decomposing organic material. If you are getting small and numerous holes in the leaves as they emerge (often killing the plant before it has a chance to put out more leaves) you are probably dealing with a flea beetle or bean leaf beetle. If the new seedlings disappear over night with little to no evidence of the eater it could be slugs or snails. Both pests like the straw mulch that you use for the garlic as a great place to shelter in and overwinter...and it is a good strategy to continue with as we suggest covering the ground with dead plant material . Your best solution for next year is to start your beans in individual cell trays and transplant them out instead of direct sowing. Having a 4-5 true leaves at transplanting will enable the plant to withstand some chewing damage and out grow the pest.

Return to “Beans”