Growing ginger in cooler climates

Danoost
Site Admin

We successfully grow ginger in an unheated cold-frame so I know this is possible for people with a greenhouse if the following conditions are met:

1) get quality tubers that are firm (I use organic Peruvian ginger).
2) start the plants indoors in January. Plant in crates or pots and keep temperature as high as possible. 25C+.
3) you need at least 200 good growing days. Greenhouse temperature should be above 15C and most daytime temperatures are 25C-45C.
4) plant in rich, well-draining soil and keep plants moist at all times. Get the best quality compost possible. Straight vermicompost is best.
5) ginger loves high humidity environments. When temperatures go above 35 C mist the plants frequently or water foliage.

We're going to be doing an entire video on this. Look for that to be released in early January.
Sunnygardensurrey

Ginger root
Ginger root
C8E2CEE3-8585-4695-8715-22D08131073D.jpeg (20.69 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
I’ve soaked this Peruvian ginger root for a couple weeks now. Curious how I should separate this one root when I plant it up? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
PeasIntheRain

Thank you for bringing this up; I'm really interested in growing ginger. I've had a couple of plants come up OK inside but... then lost them (one, just last week). I'm thinking my soil may not have been rich enough.

From living in Samoa, I know ginger likes partial shade so I am also wondering if perhaps it didn't love being too close to the grow light inside over the winter. When you start your plants indoors in January, are you providing extra light?

At what stage do you move them to the greenhouse? Are you just waiting for the sun to come out enough to heat the greenhouse up to 25°C during the day? What can the ginger handle for nighttime temperatures? (I've built a little greenhouse beside a barn, roughly 1.5 x 2.5 metres, and the temperature is very variable throughout the day and night.)

Thanks!
Danoost
Site Admin

You should be able to break up that piece into around 3 pieces. Just make sure each piece has a sprout and it'll be fine.
Sunnygardensurrey wrote: Fri 31-Dec-2021, 13:59 C8E2CEE3-8585-4695-8715-22D08131073D.jpegI’ve soaked this Peruvian ginger root for a couple weeks now. Curious how I should separate this one root when I plant it up? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Danoost
Site Admin

PeasIntheRain wrote: Sun 02-Jan-2022, 15:58 Thank you for bringing this up; I'm really interested in growing ginger. I've had a couple of plants come up OK inside but... then lost them (one, just last week). I'm thinking my soil may not have been rich enough.

From living in Samoa, I know ginger likes partial shade so I am also wondering if perhaps it didn't love being too close to the grow light inside over the winter. When you start your plants indoors in January, are you providing extra light?

At what stage do you move them to the greenhouse? Are you just waiting for the sun to come out enough to heat the greenhouse up to 25°C during the day? What can the ginger handle for nighttime temperatures? (I've built a little greenhouse beside a barn, roughly 1.5 x 2.5 metres, and the temperature is very variable throughout the day and night.)

Thanks!
We don't give the plants any light until they sprout. Plant them on when the temperature can safely be above 15C but 20C minimum is preferable.

Return to “Ginger”