Intro

Let's get to know each other a little better.
SCalberta

Hi I am Sabrina from Calgary. I have grown up with veg gardening but am always learning!

I am in gardening zone 3b. You lucky lot who are in zone 7! ( I used to have a place on the Gulf Islands and briefly experienced a much higher zone)

But gardening has changed here in Calgary at an elevation of about 1100 meters. With climate change we have gone from approx. 90 days to 105-110 growing season. But with that comes more variable weather- longer cooler spring and soil not warming up or sudden very warm dry weather. I never even owned “shade cloth” until the heat dome came over the Rockies and hit here last June!
So looking forward to the course!
Danoost
Site Admin

Hi Sabrina. Nice to have you with us!
I believe our greatest advantage living in coastal zone 7 is our generally mild winters. This allows us to overwinter quite a few different crops. Our challenge is the crazy amount of rain and cloudy days from fall to spring.

My brother lived in Lethbridge, Alberta for some time and had a garden. Despite the shorter growing season, I was amazed at how much he could grow and how fast he caught up with us. The growing season is brief but intense. I believe that getting the timing right in Northerly growing areas is really important.

By the way, when is your average last frost date in Spring? When is the average first frost date in late summer?

Dan
Michelle Dargatz

Hi Sabrina, looking forward to learning alongside you this year :D
SCalberta

Danoost wrote: Sat 01-Jan-2022, 12:47 Hi Sabrina. Nice to have you with us!
I believe our greatest advantage living in coastal zone 7 is our generally mild winters. This allows us to overwinter quite a few different crops. Our challenge is the crazy amount of rain and cloudy days from fall to spring.

My brother lived in Lethbridge, Alberta for some time and had a garden. Despite the shorter growing season, I was amazed at how much he could grow and how fast he caught up with us. The growing season is brief but intense. I believe that getting the timing right in Northerly growing areas is really important.

By the way, when is your average last frost date in Spring? When is the average first frost date in late summer?
Calgary Hort guideline- May 11-20 and Sept 11-20

Dan
SCalberta

Hi Dan - re your question Calgary Hort guideline is a range Last Frost -May 11-20 and First Frost is Sept 11-20 Cheers Sabrina
Andrew
Site Admin

Welcome to the course! I share Dan's sentiments that while we do have mild winters compared to you, we get way less sun and far more rain which makes for different interesting challenges. Looking forward to hearing how you do later in the season!

Return to “Introductions”