Seeds

Samanthah

I feel overwhelmed by the variations of seeds and places to buy them - I will be growing in an organic manner so would like to get organic seeds. I have also started to learn about heritage seeds.

Where is everyones favourite place to buy seeds?
Kristin

West Coast Seeds has always been my go-to!
Michelle Dargatz

Hi Samanthah,

We also grow organic here on our farm, and last year I tried a few companies that were organic, but not local. I noticed a huge difference in the crop and the harvest between local seeds - purchased from West Coast Seeds - to others, most of which were based out of Ontario. My suggestion would be West Coast if possible.
SharonK

Here is an amazing resource for seeds. https://www.bcecoseedcoop.com/
Cliffsidegardens

Here's a website with a bunch of heritage seed companies, and also a wonderful read for many things homesteading.

https://www.walkerland.ca/canadian-heir ... suppliers/

I've ordered my tomato seeds from Eagleridge before, and had a bunch of questions for her about growing in my specific area, and she was fantastic, and helped me pick which eggplant seeds to try. This year I've been really moved by Uprising Seeds descriptions (US) and a couple of their offerings so I'm trying some new things from there, as well as some staples from West Coast Seeds and William Dam seeds. Last year I tried Johnny's Seeds, also from the US, HUGE selection. I've found myself quite overwhelmed, and then over-ordering seeds and too many varieties to plant, so I've found it helpful to chose one company to try things out with per year, and then buy my staples from West Coast and/or William Dam.
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Cliffsidegardens wrote: Sun 02-Jan-2022, 14:47 Here's a website with a bunch of heritage seed companies, and also a wonderful read for many things homesteading.

I've ordered my tomato seeds from Eagleridge before, and had a bunch of questions for her about growing in my specific area, and she was fantastic, and helped me pick which eggplant seeds to try. This year I've been really moved by Uprising Seeds descriptions (US) and a couple of their offerings so I'm trying some new things from there, as well as some staples from West Coast Seeds and William Dam seeds. Last year I tried Johnny's Seeds, also from the US, HUGE selection. I've found myself quite overwhelmed, and then over-ordering seeds and too many varieties to plant, so I've found it helpful to chose one company to try things out with per year, and then buy my staples from West Coast and/or William Dam.
That is really good advice, Cliffside! I've had the same issue with over-ordering when I use too many sources.
It's kind of like a good meal where the main course is your staple varieties coming from one destination to give you a dependable harvest and dessert is one of the other sources where you try out some interesting additions to keep it interesting.
PeasIntheRain

Cliffsidegardens wrote: Sun 02-Jan-2022, 14:47 Here's a website with a bunch of heritage seed companies, and also a wonderful read for many things homesteading.

Just chipping in that I've ordered from Uprising and their service, seeds, and packaging are great. I love their 'Grow it Forward' programme, where you can buy a seed packet that they'll pass to an applicant in need. https://uprisingorganics.com/collection ... it-forward

If cross-border shopping is an option: http://grownorthwest.com/2020/02/seeds- ... or-season/ lists a bunch, most in Washington state and surrounds.

Shopping more local is better for a whole host of reasons, not least the likelihood of success of the plant. That said, as far as catalogues to peruse to learn from and hear about fantastic gardening initiatives, I have a lot of respect for Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. They've introduced me to lots of plant research projects, justice-driven gardening initiatives, and information about a lot of traditional plant varieties. They're closer to the other end of the continent but have some relevant items that I've simply not found closer to home, things like perennial onions.
ElysseG

West Coast Seed or BC Eco Seed Co Op
SwissChard007

Staples are West Coast Seeds, BC Eco Seed Co Op, Salt Spring Seeds. For ideas and history of heirloom varieties Baker Creek - rareseeds.com is a great resource.
Caitlin

Getting catalogues and buying seeds is one of my favorite times of the year! It does tend to be expensive though, so there are a few things I usually keep in mind while making my list.
-What does my family love (beans, peas, carrots)
-What will give us food through the winter (potatoes, root crops and cabbage)
-What crops are good money savers by growing at home (garlic and onions)
-What gives me joy (flowers)
-And I usually try something new to focus a little more time experimenting on (for me, tomatoes and peppers have been my learning projects the last few years)

I also like knowing what I am going to be using the crops for, and basing my choices on that; beans for canning, tomatoes for pasta sauce, onions for storage, cabbage for overwintering, etc.

Return to “Seeds”