Green Acres Family Farm

Let's get to know each other a little better.
Michelle Dargatz

Hello everyone,

My name is Michelle. I represent one of three families living here on Green Acres as we call it. We are a family run garlic farm and vegetable garden with chickens and bees in Chilliwack, just down the road from the Local Harvest. My husband and I live on our 2.5 property alongside my mom and dad, and sister and brother in law and their 3 kids.

We moved here roughly 5 years ago. When we moved here we had no idea what to do with the land or how to do it. My parents have had small gardens for most of my life, and my grandparents before them, but never anything on the scale of what we currently have. 4 years ago, I took the in-person course, and shortly after we started with 6 raised beds. I took from the course all I could absorb and implent, and then last year when I felt ready to tackle the next step, I took the course again. 5 years later, we now have a 1 acre certified organic (although I believe that we are growing well beyond "certified organic") garlic farm, a small market garden, a small orchard and chicken run with 10 chickens and 4 bee hives.

I first realized the need for food security for our three families when the pandemic hit. That was the first year that we tried to grow as much as we'd need to get us through a whole year - 4 full seasons. We failed in some aspects - I still can't seem to grow brassica's to save my life, but we succeeded in so many others. We have a huge "storage" of food to get us through the Hunger Gap as Dana referred to it recently, including fremented, frozen and "fresh" foods. Living off our small parcel of land and ethically sourcing meat from those around me that I have had the priveledge to meet and learn from has been amazing, and that was all thanks to this wonderful community of like-minded people.

This past year, my focus shifted from growing to regeneration! I became obsessed with learning about and observing the soil food web, composting and really just leaving the land better than when we found it. This year, I am very excited to continue this learning and applying it to both the garlic field and the vegetable garden. In addition, I'm yearning to learn more about processing my own chickens :shock: and seed-saving. So, so many skills that many generations have forgotten or forgone.

In addition to our family farm, I am a full-time Kindergarten teacher in the public school system. I am thrilled to share my passion for nature and food security with my little learners every year! I am equally as thrilled to be learning with so many wonderful people in such a diverse group! Thank you all.
Sunnygardensurrey

Welcome!! Looking forward to learning from you. Also would love to visit your working farm with my little ones one day. Your little piece of nature sounds wonderful!
Kristin

Welcome! I’m so interested to learn more about what you’ve done - especially what you grew to last the year. I’m a beekeeper too. It’s great to meet you.
MForest

Hi Michelle, I think it must be your video that I saw—what you have accomplished is inspirational! I’m really interested in regenerative practices too. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about your farm!
Alicia

Hi Michelle! I think I follow your farm on IG and have truly been inspired! Your garlic beds look amazing.
Andrew
Site Admin

Welcome back Michelle!! So grateful to have you with us, you really exemplify getting in there and doing -- and with great results!
Michelle Dargatz

Andrew wrote: Wed 05-Jan-2022, 10:01 Welcome back Michelle!! So grateful to have you with us, you really exemplify getting in there and doing -- and with great results!
Thanks Andrew! So excited to be back :D
Michelle Dargatz

Alicia wrote: Tue 04-Jan-2022, 22:43 Hi Michelle! I think I follow your farm on IG and have truly been inspired! Your garlic beds look amazing.
Hi Alicia, thank you. This community of people is completely inspiring; so excited to have you join us!
Michelle Dargatz

Kristin wrote: Sun 02-Jan-2022, 08:27 Welcome! I’m so interested to learn more about what you’ve done - especially what you grew to last the year. I’m a beekeeper too. It’s great to meet you.
Hi Kristin, very much looking forward to sharing what I can. All I have learned is from these three guys!
Michelle Dargatz

MForest wrote: Sun 02-Jan-2022, 21:10 Hi Michelle, I think it must be your video that I saw—what you have accomplished is inspirational! I’m really interested in regenerative practices too. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more about your farm!
Can't wait to learn more about regenerative practices with you!

Return to “Introductions”