Sea-90

Marie

I’ve watched Module A twice, making notes the second time around, and I really want to order some Sea-90 for my beds. I notice Andrew Couzens in Chilliwack is a distributor, but there’s only a phone number available for him. Is that correct? Thanks.
Danoost
Site Admin

You can reach out to Andrew on his website: https://terrafloraorganics.com/
snapdragonjane

I'm based in the UK and Sea-90 seems to be difficult to obtain. You mentioned rockdust in passing in the video - would this be a direct alternative for remineralising soil? If so, do you have advice about application levels?
Thanks,
Jane
Andrew
Site Admin

snapdragonjane wrote: Wed 05-Jan-2022, 09:48 I'm based in the UK and Sea-90 seems to be difficult to obtain. You mentioned rockdust in passing in the video - would this be a direct alternative for remineralising soil? If so, do you have advice about application levels?
Thanks,
Jane
If you cannot find SEA-90 try to source a sea salt for human consumption. Do your digging, don't just trust claims find out where they are harvesting it from and then do a little research about what industry is inland from that region of the ocean.

When adding rock dust its varies wildly but a cup or two per cubic foot is a good start. Adding sand and clay will also help with mineralization. With rock dust wear an N95 mask if possible or have a fan blowing from behind you so you don't breathe it in.
Gryphon

Can I use sea water instead of Sea-90? What would be the rate of application?
Thanks.
PeasIntheRain

At first thought, one package-free alternative for those with coastal access would be seaweed (in itself and with its associated sea salt residues). Andrew, any comments on mineral profiles or application methods, directly vs. into composting systems?

It's important to check your local regulations for seaweed collection. For instance, 10 pounds of wet weight per licensed person per day is the limit where I live, leaving specific parts of the seaweed organism behind, and no differentiation is made between the collection of live attached seaweed (as for consumption) versus remnants in the wrack line, up on the beach. Those cast-up remnants are what I use in the garden.

I've asked several other marine ecologists and conservation managers, but none of us is quite sure about the relative merits or impacts of gathering a batch from one spot (to minimise the impact spatially) versus gathering a little bit throughout. Dead seaweed is of course part of a natural ecosystem so it's important not to gather it all; honourable harvest principles apply. Best practice is to shake off the clumps of dead seaweed to remove any living things (you'll often see small shore crabs, amphipods, etc. fall off). There may be invasive seaweeds where you live, and selecting for those may give you extra brownie points :D

When you get home, the seaweed can most simply be applied as a surface mulch. Without rinsing, this would contain salts alongside the mineral content of the seaweed itself.
CoastRichard

Here is the British Columbia regulation for aquatic plant harvesting (<100kg, no raking, no disturbance of substrate) - and local practice to not harvest in early spring.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/indu ... harvesting
Andrew
Site Admin

Gryphon wrote: Wed 05-Jan-2022, 15:04 Can I use sea water instead of Sea-90? What would be the rate of application?
Thanks.
That is a difficult question to answer. 4L of sea water holds approximately 30g of sea-salt.

Although I mentioned an application rate of 5/lbs per acre this is for foliar and is low. For broadcast applications its typically 100-150lbs per acre split between fall and spring. You would need an awful lot of sea water to meet this, although for foliar application it would be more feasible.

Lots of information is available at seaagri.com
Gryphon

Thank you Andrew. That puts things into perspective.

Return to “1. Cover the ground with organic matter”