Mini Garden Shed

jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

I started an excellent book by Ben Hartman called "The Lean Farm" (which by the way is an useful read for someone starting out as a market gardener and wishing to set up their systems and procedures for high efficiency).
The first chapter is titled Every Tool in Its Place and it really resonated with me. I had always intended to add a small tool area to the vegetable garden but this book laid out the concept more deeply than my thinking had ever delved into.
The principle is this: if you use the tools in a space then they should be stored in that same area. It seems like a simple concept but I identified that the the tools I was using in my garden came from 3 different areas, our retail store (twine and pruners), the shop (shovel, hoe watering can), and the barn (fork). These tools were being used for different purposes and I was spending too much time looking for them. In addition to these tools are the supplies that I often need such as amendments, seeds, etc. which were stored in the house and shop.
I made a comprehensive list of the things I use on a weekly basis in the garden and then proceeded to plan a simple mini shed to hold all of the supplies and tools. I made it from parts of a recycled deck, and other used materials and for a someone who is not overly handy, it worked out pretty well. I will need to purchase a few more tools so that the garden tools can stay in the back garden but I think with the increased efficiency they will quickly pay for themselves.
The black crates are storage containers for soil amendments and other supplies. I hope to move it to its new home once the snow clears a bit. For now I will not add doors but if it looks like it gets too much moisture I will add some later.

[attachment=0]potting shed.jpg[/attachment
Attachments
potting shed.jpg
potting shed.jpg (116.13 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
Gryphon

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing. I have ordered "The Lean Farm" from the library. I look forward to reading it.

Return to “1. Designing for convenience”