Seed food ideas

CMCRoberts

Hello Iam currently preparing to start my tomatoes and pepers in my house. Iam wondering if anyone has any ideas for seed food or fertilizer?

Thanks for any help provided.
steve_miller

I have always had good success with using soil right from my garden beds. I just grab a tote and keep it indoors for a while to make sure its room temp. If you are looking for a boost you can add work castings to the trays/cells.

One thing I'll mention, the last two years I made a mistake with tomatoes and peppers (more tomatoes), I started 15 or 20 tomatoes (5 or 6 each of three varieties). Well since they can't go outside until it warms up they were huge in my basement and took up lots of space, as well as being thirsty in pots and became a bit of a bother once I had all the other starters going. This year I will plant a few less and wait a little longer to start.

As well I use heating mats for in the house starters and they really increase success and shorten the time for seeds to come up.

Cheers,
Steve
CMCRoberts

Thanks Steve that info was really helpful
Andrew
Site Admin

CMCRoberts wrote: Wed 05-Jan-2022, 18:16 Hello Iam currently preparing to start my tomatoes and pepers in my house. Iam wondering if anyone has any ideas for seed food or fertilizer?

Thanks for any help provided.
I recommend creating your own or purchasing a living soil mix where possible. A living soil mix contains diverse microbiology and the best source for this is a high quality vermicompost or worm castings. We sell a product called "Living Soil 1.0" in our store which has been specially formulated for this. Although our recipe has quite a few ingredients, you can have success with a simple recipe yourself:

Buy a bag of sterile potting mix. Lets say its 1 cubic foot (28L). To this bag add...

- 3-6L of high quality vermicompost (worm castings) - this provides our microbes, improves germination + water retention
- 30g of SEA-90 - water soluble trace elements and minerals
- 1/2 cup of rock dust / green sand / azomite - minerals
- 1 tablespoon of dolomite lime or baked/crushed eggshells + pinch of epsom salt - calcium + mag to balance pH and provide nutrients

optional but highly recommended:

- 1.5L of bio-char - this provides a home for microbes, adsorbs heavy metals, improves soil porosity + water retention

Blend this together and moisten appropriately (squeeze in hand and if water readily drips out you've added too much water), you want one or two tiny drops to appear when you squeeze hard, but not flowing drips.

TFSW LS 1.0: https://terrafloraorganics.com/shop/ols ... ng-soil-10
TFSW biodynamic vermicompost: https://terrafloraorganics.com/shop/ols ... m-castings
CHAR+ biochar: https://terrafloraorganics.com/shop/ols ... cubic-foot

Return to “Seeds”