Hello from Yarrow!

Let's get to know each other a little better.
Cailey

Hello Everyone,

I've been really enjoying reading through everyones intros and hearing what everyones ambitions are with this course.

I grew up in Yarrow, spent most of my 20's living on various Gulf Islands, and am now back here with my husband and our 3 year old. We've just moved back and I'm hoping to get a garden going on my parents property. We have a few raised beds but not much has been done with them and the soil fertility isn't great, so my first goal is to start improving that. I'm also hoping to set up a larger garden bed with a rain barrel drip irrigation system.. we will see how far I get with that this spring.

I spent the last three years on Texada Island and set up my first garden there. Being in covid lockdowns on an island was pretty isolating so I spent lots of hours in the garden and learned that I really love it. I had a little farm stand going there with flowers, veggies, eggs, and sourdough bread and it was a great way to get to know my neighbours during lockdown. Next year I'm hoping to apply for UFV's horticulture program, but for this year I'm really excited to do this course and see the improvements in my little garden.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone is doing in their own gardens! Attached is a picture of my garden last year on Texada : )

Cailey
Attachments
TexadaGarden.jpg
TexadaGarden.jpg (200.25 KiB) Viewed 865 times
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Hi Cailey, That is a sweet space you left behind! I never really mind leaving a garden behind because I know that my next one will be even better with everything I learned on the previous patch. But still, there always a sense of regret mixed in because you know what went into it. It will be interesting to compare your growing experiences here, to what you were used to on Texada.
Michelle Dargatz

Hi Cailey, such a lovely space you had! I know this one will be just as great or even better :)

Return to “Introductions”