Another North Vancouver Grower

Let's get to know each other a little better.
TomF

Well I am not as experienced or set up as Trixi in North Van but I do have a decent lot in Lynn Valley but it is mostly forest. I started a small garden a couple of years ago and added more food area this summer and expanded onto the boulevard with some blue berries, raspberries and a potato bed. I may have to convert more of the grass to garden this summer as my initial location is a bit shaded.

Still working on no till practices and building my soil so the lack of success in some crops have not deterred me. I know it takes time to build the soil and also learn how to garden so I need to get out of my own bubble this summer with more local connections and learning. Looking forward to increasing crop success with good planning/timing, increasing harvests with succession planting and improved soil and ensuring good year round eating from my garden. So really excited my wife found this for me through a co-worker that took this course.

I have just completed Dr Elaine Ingham SoilFoodWeb Foundation Course and will be starting the Certified Lab Tech course next. The microscopy is really inspiring when you see what goes on in the soil. I am still learning that and look at many samples around my yard from the biofilm that formed on the bottom of my landscape fabric in a too wet pile, to good compost, poor soil, the soil off my carrots roots, water drained from a wicking bed etc. Seeing good guys and bad guys so getting familiar with them all slowly.

So inspire and teach me to grow bigger with confidence!
ElysseG

Welcome!!!

I grew up in North Van!! Can't wait to see what you do with your space ☺️
CoastRichard

Hi Tom,
Fondly remember the low cloud and bears while growing up at the top of Lynn Valley. Can imagine gardening there involves working with the water cycle and cedar roots. Curious to hear more as you work through Elaine Ingham's courses.
danadykema

Hey Tom! I am also in Lynn Valley. Would love to see your space! And hear your experience doing that soil course. I know Andrew has referenced her before with high praises.

Return to “Introductions”