Hello from Nashville

Let's get to know each other a little better.
angelinab

Hi folks! Really enjoyed reading everyone's introductions. Excited to have found this course and community.

I've been gardening on a small scale all my life, having learned from my miracle-gro loving mother. Until last year I lived in a tiny cottage in Los Angeles with a small patch of astroturf covered with containers of herbs, a small raised bed where I grew tomatoes nearly year round (gotta love the southern california growing season), and a worm bin in my laundry room.

At the beginning of the pandemic, I stumbled upon some regenerative agriculture concepts and had my mind blown. Ive been reading and researching ever since. 9 months ago, I moved to Nashville and bought a sweet house with a beautiful backyard - plenty of space to build the garden of my dreams, putting into practice all the concepts I've been reading about and learning all I can. The first step was getting a compost system up and running. That's proved to be way more fun and satisfying than I could have imagined.

I found this course just as I was beginning to plan for spring and I'm so glad I did. The planting schedule module was super helpful. It's rather overwhelming going from a tiny space with a long and forgiving growing season where it never freezes, to 20x the space and proper seasons with snow and such. I'm going to be building my veggie beds from scratch (as soon as this snow melts) and am repurposing two big flower beds for perennial herbs/medicinal plants (they were overgrown with spiderwort when I moved in and are currently wintering with a cover crop of austrian winter peas and daikon radishes). Trying to stay loose and playful, with a goal of cultivating a deeper understanding of and connection to the natural world, not necessarily producing a bounty of food (but trusting that the latter will follow the former in time). Thanks so much to everyone for this welcoming space. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone!
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Hi Angelina, and welcome to the course. Thanks for letting us be a part of your journey as you develop your space and put the course contents into use. (And trust me, the bounty will follow!)

Return to “Introductions”