Hello from Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast

Let's get to know each other a little better.
CoastRichard

Excited to be learning from this community after reading project drawdown led to my aha moment on why restoring soil health at scale is critical to human health and our planet. Discovered Local Harvest as the last stop of our 2021 fall camping trip.

Living with my family in Gibsons on .5 acre. Slowly re-wilding and turning more our land into productive space. Like others in this community getting back to gardening with nature - grass into pasture for deer, cover cropping, using local resources like seaweed, introducing fungi and other microbial life back into the land, and learning a ton from Andrew's videos on vermicomposting, bokachi, innoculants, and high grade compost, and experimenting with with biochar and rock dust. When not growing, I help clients make sense of enterprise software and data.

Have had success with broccoli, garlic, peas. Still figuring out raspberries (disease), strawberries (pill bugs), carrots (rust fly), tomatoes (split). So starting to work more on living soil through better compost. Vermicompost hungry bin is up and running. Lots to learn on planning for year round harvest, looking at soil health through a microscope, using more local resources.
Last edited by CoastRichard on Mon 24-Jan-2022, 08:57, edited 2 times in total.
Danoost
Site Admin

Thanks for joining!

Every region seems to have some natural resource available to use as mulch and compost. Yours is seaweed and other gifts the ocean offers. I would like to learn more about the power of seaweed as soil building organic matter.

Return to “Introductions”