Josh's Introduction

Let's get to know each other a little better.
josh

Hello everyone! My name is Josh and I live in Vancouver, BC. If I were to summarize myself as a gardener it would be the following: “long time listener, first time caller”. I attribute being on the sidelines to having lived the majority of my adult life in apartments, where the balconies have either been completely shaded or non-existent. In 2021, my wife and I decided it was time to move and we identified two non-negotiables: more space to grow our family and more space to grow the garden we always dreamed of. With the constraint of keeping to the city, we moved into a small house that comes with a south-facing balcony and tiny backyard with a pre-existing raised bed. This first year we grew herbs, tomatoes, cucumbers, raspberries (the canes came with the house), garlic, and a twin baby boy and girl :)

I have to admit that after reading through the introductions I feel slightly intimidated by the level of expertise of everyone in the course, but I am excited to be a novice sponge. I’ve voraciously gone through all of the 2022 video content so far and I appreciate some of the early points of reflection, specifically “why garden at all”. My personal journey to get here has been through cooking. The kitchen is my happy place in the house, and I view the garden as a critical extension to the kitchen. Early on I would cook recipes I'd find online or in books and be confused as to why I wasn’t getting the result I hoped for. I realized that a large part of my problem was that I was disconnected from the plants and animals I was preparing – ignorant of how they were produced, their seasonality, and their regionality. In retrospect, it was silly to expect that the tomatoes I purchased in winter from miles and miles away would make the salad or sauce I was looking for, but it’s an all too common mistake. The farmer’s market has become a consistent part of our life every week and has grown to the point where the majority of the plants, animals, and fungi our family consumes are seasonal and local from the market. The dream garden floating around in my head is abundant, wherefrom the bounty I can feed my family and my neighbors, invites my children to learn about the seasons and their food, and is a beautiful space where my friends and family come to dine sitting right next to the food they are served.

I am very excited for the course and to eventually meet everyone on Zoom (twin baby life permitting at times). I’ll also put out there that on top of gardening I’d love to learn more about mushroom foraging. If anyone shares this interest or is experienced with the topic please reach out to this keen novice.
jack oostenbrink
Site Admin

Hi Josh, and welcome to the course and the forum! I love your story (and it's not over yet!) I look forward to seeing images and reading stories of your garden journey as the season progresses. Your dream garden is what makes me tick too and youve captured it perfectly!
"The dream garden floating around in my head is abundant, wherefrom the bounty I can feed my family and my neighbors, invites my children to learn about the seasons and their food, and is a beautiful space where my friends and family come to dine sitting right next to the food they are served."
Alicia

I love your vision for your dream garden!
Andrew
Site Admin

josh wrote: Mon 03-Jan-2022, 11:26 I have to admit that after reading through the introductions I feel slightly intimidated by the level of expertise of everyone in the course, but I am excited to be a novice sponge. I’ve voraciously gone through all of the 2022 video content so far and I appreciate some of the early points of reflection, specifically “why garden at all”. My personal journey to get here has been through cooking. The kitchen is my happy place in the house, and I view the garden as a critical extension to the kitchen. Early on I would cook recipes I'd find online or in books and be confused as to why I wasn’t getting the result I hoped for. I realized that a large part of my problem was that I was disconnected from the plants and animals I was preparing – ignorant of how
Welcome to the course, and do not worry about those feelings of intimidation. As a sponge, soak it all up and then without fear proceed forward and try. Failure is a part of learning, it isn't optional not everything will work out but you will learn, grow in confidence and have excellent results for this is how nature rewards those to seek to work with it.

My journey is equally connected to food as I'll express in some more detail in a zoom call but suffice to say I think its the path everyone should experience since we all eat! My wife is an excellent chef and now her passion has become mine, and mine for growing has also infected her with a bit of the growing bug so its working out well.

Looking forward to growing with you!

Return to “Introductions”